maaloo Geocaching is now free. You do not have to pay anything to use the full version. I hope you like that.
Update 2.9.5. – Changelog
- The default map is now the OpenStreetMap “Normal” map, because of problems with the HERE map on newer devices.
- The ‘View Online’ feature is not available for Basic members of geocaching.com.
- The lost of the GPS-signal is now alerted by voice and vibration.
This update changes the way to switch a map and choose waypoint online services. Previously you had to click more buttons to switch to another map or to toggle waypoint services on or off. Now there is only one click to open the “Fast Map Switcher”.
You can choose from the last 3 maps you had used before. At the beginning there are no 3 maps, so you have to press the more-button with the three dots to open the full map menu and choose a map there. If you want to switch to another than the 3 maps you have to press the more-button too.
If you use an offline vector map, you can select one of three themes (design templates). There are the MTB, Hike and Cycle theme. The Hike theme highlights hiking ways. The Cycle theme highlights ways for bicycles. If you use the maps from openandromaps.org you get better results with the themes. Especially the network-tagged ways (regional walking and cycling routes) are more highlighted with maps by openandromaps.org.
The themes are similar to those from andromaps_mtb, andromaps_hike and andromaps_cycle.xml by openandromaps.org with some minor changes.
This update integrates the ability to download OpenStreetMap vector map files directly from the app. There are files for nearly the whole world available.
You can download the files from the map manager. Press the map / download button from the main screen to open the map manager. There is a new Download button on the Offline-page.
This button opens a webpage with all the available maps. You can download a whole country or a part of a bigger country. The download of the file itself is executed by the phones system. You get a notification if the file is downloaded and ready for import. Click the downloaded file and the import will start. This can take a while if the file is big (some minutes for e.g. germany.map with 1.7GB). You can delete the file after import from the downloads folder, because it is copied into the apps storage.
World base map
Especially for the vector maps, there is a new world base map for lower zoom levels. This map is an online map and loads the map tiles on demand for zoom levels lower than 11. Vector map files does not have map data for the whole world, so if you zoom out to lower zoom levels you would not see a map anymore. With the new fallback to the world base map you always see a map until zoom level 3.
You need online access for the world base map, but the tiles are cached, so each used map tile is downloaded only ones.
You can disable the world base map for vector maps in the map options.
This update fixes some bugs and provides some minor improvements.
Changes for Geocaching:
- Bugfix: The Found-Icon were not updated immediately on the map in all conditions. This should work now for PQs, Favorites, Online-Caches and the target waypoint.
- Bugfix: The [COUNT]-Tag in the log text was not updated for immediately send logs. The number of founds is now retrieved from geocaching.com before log upload.
- The logs are now uploaded in the order of creation date, from the older to the newer entries. Previously this was not explicitly ensured.
- The short_description of the GPX-files (PQs) are now involved for the description of the cache, previously only the long_description was displayed.
- New: You can use [DATE_LOG] and [TIME_LOG] as placeholders for the date and time at the creation date of the log. The former [DATE] and [TIME] still exist but insert the current date and time at upload.
- Missing map tiles are tried to download again after the online access is available again. Previously a failed map tile download was cached until the next map provider was selected or the App restarted.
- The info field ‘Altitude’ now shows the altitudes above 1000m in meters not km.
- The Lumia 950 had a pixel offset on the OSM maps which prevented the correct selection of waypoints on the map. There is a new map option to add an offset to the touch position. The option page is: map / menu… / map options / View Extended / Special settings. The Lumia 950 is detected and the right value set, so normally you must not do anything for this.
Update for maaloo Outdoor 8 (blue icon).
Some new features regarding the track visibility and track edit functions.
- You can choose the color of the track and decide if the track points are visible on the map
- You can edit the track. Reduce the amount of track points of the track for faster handling on the map. Reverse the direction of the track. Duplicate the track if you want to save the original track in advance to some changes.
- Update of the dutch translation – thanks to marmarroo
The first update of 2016 for maaloo Outdoor 8 (blue icon).
Some minor changes and one more translation:
- Bugfix: Get directions for route was not visible on map immediately
- New Upload-button on the Track Details page
- Retrieve more online waypoints (Panoramio, Geocaching, GPSies) by multiple requests. The waypoints of the previous request does not disappear now.
- Danish Translation – thanks Thomas
This update offers some improvements and bugfixes for Geocaching and the Geocaching-InApp.
The Log Upload page has 3 buttons to enable or disable the upload for notes, logs and trackables logs. The upload process itself checks for errors from GC-API and marks the logs having an upload-error not as uploaded, for your next try (with better WLAN connection).
There are now logging types for owners of geocaches for the maintenance of there geocaches in the field. (Temporarily Disable Listing, Enable Listing, Owner Maintenance)
The quality of the GC-icons has improved. You will notice this especially on phones with higher resolution.