After a somewhat longer breather, owing to the decline of Windows Phone / Mobile, the journey continues towards the iPhone. maaloo geocaching is being redesigned, with fresh technology under the planks. The main focus lays on the target platform Apple iPhone. Potentially, it could also run on Android and Windows Universal App – but maybe later. Lets focus on iPhone.
When will it happen? Look forward to late spring 2019 over again …
The Live-API to OneDrive which is used by maaloo Geocaching/Outdoor was switched off by Microsoft.
You can still import GPX-files by direct file import. E.g. you can send an Email to yourself with an GPX file attachment. Open the attached GPX-file in your mail client on your phone. Touch on the file and all associated apps are listed which can open GPX files. Choose maaloo Geocaching/Outdoor an the file will be imported.
There are no export features available anymore. Sorry for any inconveniences caused. Ways of implementing an alternative feature to export a GPX file are checked.
Update: v184.108.40.206 – added the ability to export tracks and waypoints by export as plain text in the body of an Email. This re-enables the further post-processing and import in GPX-Editors on PC.
maaloo Geocaching is now free. You do not have to pay anything to use the full version. I hope you like that.
Update 220.127.116.11 – Changelog
- The default map is now the OpenStreetMap “Normal” map, because of problems with the HERE map on newer devices.
- The ‘View Online’ feature is not available for Basic members of geocaching.com.
- The lost of the GPS-signal is now alerted by voice and vibration.
Update 18.104.22.168 – Changelog
- There is an option for the new feature ‘The lost of the GPS-signal is now alerted by voice and vibration.’ – Settings / Proximity / Checkbox ‘Alert GPS-Signal lost’
Update 22.214.171.124 – Changelog
- The Favorites / Waypoints page has a redesigned application bar. There is a new button to activate the multi selection mode and one more button to select all or de-select all items. You can elect the selected waypoints as your favorites, which copies them to the favorites folder.
- If you choose “update all” from the Favorites menu, the geocaches are getting updated as usual, but now the pictures of the caches are downloaded too. (Hint: If you delete the favorites afterwards, the pictures stay in the storage of maaloo until you delete them by “Database / delete (red icon)” explicitly. Hint 2: If you have the same waypoints in a Pocket Query, the pictures of the same caches (equal GC-Code) are available too, also if you delete the favorites.)
- The pixel offset in the OSM-map of the Lumia 950 device (RM-1105) is detected automatically now.
Update 126.96.36.199 – Changelog
- Fixed an error in the coordinate transformation
This update changes the way to switch a map and choose waypoint online services. Previously you had to click more buttons to switch to another map or to toggle waypoint services on or off. Now there is only one click to open the “Fast Map Switcher”.
You can choose from the last 3 maps you had used before. At the beginning there are no 3 maps, so you have to press the more-button with the three dots to open the full map menu and choose a map there. If you want to switch to another than the 3 maps you have to press the more-button too.
If you use an offline vector map, you can select one of three themes (design templates). There are the MTB, Hike and Cycle theme. The Hike theme highlights hiking ways. The Cycle theme highlights ways for bicycles. If you use the maps from openandromaps.org you get better results with the themes. Especially the network-tagged ways (regional walking and cycling routes) are more highlighted with maps by openandromaps.org.
The themes are similar to those from andromaps_mtb, andromaps_hike and andromaps_cycle.xml by openandromaps.org with some minor changes.
This update integrates the ability to download OpenStreetMap vector map files directly from the app. There are files for nearly the whole world available.
You can download the files from the map manager. Press the map / download button from the main screen to open the map manager. There is a new Download button on the Offline-page.
This button opens a webpage with all the available maps. You can download a whole country or a part of a bigger country. The download of the file itself is executed by the phones system. You get a notification if the file is downloaded and ready for import. Click the downloaded file and the import will start. This can take a while if the file is big (some minutes for e.g. germany.map with 1.7GB). You can delete the file after import from the downloads folder, because it is copied into the apps storage.
World base map
Especially for the vector maps, there is a new world base map for lower zoom levels. This map is an online map and loads the map tiles on demand for zoom levels lower than 11. Vector map files does not have map data for the whole world, so if you zoom out to lower zoom levels you would not see a map anymore. With the new fallback to the world base map you always see a map until zoom level 3.
You need online access for the world base map, but the tiles are cached, so each used map tile is downloaded only ones.
You can disable the world base map for vector maps in the map options.
This update fixes some bugs and provides some minor improvements.
Changes for Geocaching:
- Bugfix: The Found-Icon were not updated immediately on the map in all conditions. This should work now for PQs, Favorites, Online-Caches and the target waypoint.
- Bugfix: The [COUNT]-Tag in the log text was not updated for immediately send logs. The number of founds is now retrieved from geocaching.com before log upload.
- The logs are now uploaded in the order of creation date, from the older to the newer entries. Previously this was not explicitly ensured.
- The short_description of the GPX-files (PQs) are now involved for the description of the cache, previously only the long_description was displayed.
- New: You can use [DATE_LOG] and [TIME_LOG] as placeholders for the date and time at the creation date of the log. The former [DATE] and [TIME] still exist but insert the current date and time at upload.
- Missing map tiles are tried to download again after the online access is available again. Previously a failed map tile download was cached until the next map provider was selected or the App restarted.
- The info field ‘Altitude’ now shows the altitudes above 1000m in meters not km.
- The Lumia 950 had a pixel offset on the OSM maps which prevented the correct selection of waypoints on the map. There is a new map option to add an offset to the touch position. The option page is: map / menu… / map options / View Extended / Special settings. The Lumia 950 is detected and the right value set, so normally you must not do anything for this.
Update for maaloo Outdoor 8 (blue icon).
Some new features regarding the track visibility and track edit functions.
- You can choose the color of the track and decide if the track points are visible on the map
- You can edit the track. Reduce the amount of track points of the track for faster handling on the map. Reverse the direction of the track. Duplicate the track if you want to save the original track in advance to some changes.
- Update of the dutch translation – thanks to marmarroo