Good news. The app comes in a phase in which it works altogether – gets round. The functionality is not yet where it should be in the future. But it is possible to search geocaches, save as favorites and log the find.
The interface is modern and hopefully fluid and easy to use.
What’s included right from the start are high resolution offline vector maps from all over the world. That was important and took a little more time than planned – it was worth it.
Here are a few impressions of the state. The beta phase with users starts in spring 2020. Maybe you can join the TestFlight.
We have caches on the map and a line to the target. Looks like it works… 😃
But there are still some features missing for a public release.
geocaching.com is changing its API to access its data to another technology. That would be a major change to the app. Due to the decreased importance of Windows Phone / Mobile and the resulting reduced user base, the effort for this migration is too high and is therefore not carried out.
The development of the iPhone version of maaloo Geocaching is in heavy development, but will be available later after this date.
The maaloo Geocaching for Windows Phone/Mobile will not be able to communicate with geocaching.com after 1 June 2019.
You can only use the offline functionality of the app. You can import pocket queries (GPX-files) and use them without online connection.
The same happens for the geocaching functionality of maaloo Outdoor.
I hope you enjoyed the app so far and will have it until 1 June 2019 or maybe even beyond as iPhone version later on.
maaloo Geocaching is now free. You do not have to pay anything to use the full version. I hope you like that.
Update 18.104.22.168 – Changelog
- The default map is now the OpenStreetMap “Normal” map, because of problems with the HERE map on newer devices.
- The ‘View Online’ feature is not available for Basic members of geocaching.com.
- The lost of the GPS-signal is now alerted by voice and vibration.
Update 22.214.171.124 – Changelog
- There is an option for the new feature ‘The lost of the GPS-signal is now alerted by voice and vibration.’ – Settings / Proximity / Checkbox ‘Alert GPS-Signal lost’
Update 126.96.36.199 – Changelog
- The Favorites / Waypoints page has a redesigned application bar. There is a new button to activate the multi selection mode and one more button to select all or de-select all items. You can elect the selected waypoints as your favorites, which copies them to the favorites folder.
- If you choose “update all” from the Favorites menu, the geocaches are getting updated as usual, but now the pictures of the caches are downloaded too. (Hint: If you delete the favorites afterwards, the pictures stay in the storage of maaloo until you delete them by “Database / delete (red icon)” explicitly. Hint 2: If you have the same waypoints in a Pocket Query, the pictures of the same caches (equal GC-Code) are available too, also if you delete the favorites.)
- The pixel offset in the OSM-map of the Lumia 950 device (RM-1105) is detected automatically now.
Update 188.8.131.52 – Changelog
- Fixed an error in the coordinate transformation
This update offers 2 new filters for Geocaches. The Cache-Size and the Min-Favorite-Points filters.
The selection of all sizes automatically includes the Unknown-size.
The other new features are the fast map and themes switcher, introduces with the v2.9.3 of the Outdoor version.
Updates v2.9.4.x – Bugfixes
- Corrected coordinates of mystery caches in geocaching.com are visible again on the map and in the details of the cache.
- A Timeout-message appears if the request for caches on the map is not responded in a certain time (see Seetings / Online / TimeOut Message Limit). This re-enables the next request faster.
- Panoramio is no longer available. The former features for Panoramio are excluded now from the app.
- Some other minor bugfixes.
This update fixes some bugs and provides some minor improvements.
Changes for Geocaching:
- Bugfix: The Found-Icon were not updated immediately on the map in all conditions. This should work now for PQs, Favorites, Online-Caches and the target waypoint.
- Bugfix: The [COUNT]-Tag in the log text was not updated for immediately send logs. The number of founds is now retrieved from geocaching.com before log upload.
- The logs are now uploaded in the order of creation date, from the older to the newer entries. Previously this was not explicitly ensured.
- The short_description of the GPX-files (PQs) are now involved for the description of the cache, previously only the long_description was displayed.
- New: You can use [DATE_LOG] and [TIME_LOG] as placeholders for the date and time at the creation date of the log. The former [DATE] and [TIME] still exist but insert the current date and time at upload.
- Missing map tiles are tried to download again after the online access is available again. Previously a failed map tile download was cached until the next map provider was selected or the App restarted.
- The info field ‘Altitude’ now shows the altitudes above 1000m in meters not km.
- The Lumia 950 had a pixel offset on the OSM maps which prevented the correct selection of waypoints on the map. There is a new map option to add an offset to the touch position. The option page is: map / menu… / map options / View Extended / Special settings. The Lumia 950 is detected and the right value set, so normally you must not do anything for this.
Some users have updated their phones to Windows 10 Mobile. The maaloo Apps are built for Windows Phone 8.x but run on Windows 10 Mobile too with some minor limitations.
The official update of W10M is the 10.0.10586.164. The 10586 is important, the last number is not so important.
One known limitation with W10M is the access to the SD-card. The maps on the SD-card are not detected by the app.
Some users had problems to start the app, if the app is installed on the SD-card. You should install the app on the internal storage of the phone in this case.
You should not use the Insider updates of W10M, not fast and not slow ring (14295.x) . There are potentially more problems. One problem is that the login to geocaching.com is not possible.
August 2017: The app also runs on Windows Mobile 10 up to version 1607, Build 14393, which can not be guaranteed for newer versions.