maaloo Geocaching is now free. You do not have to pay anything to use the full version. I hope you like that.
Update 2.9.5. – Changelog
- The default map is now the OpenStreetMap “Normal” map, because of problems with the HERE map on newer devices.
- The ‘View Online’ feature is not available for Basic members of geocaching.com.
- The lost of the GPS-signal is now alerted by voice and vibration.
This update offers 2 new filters for Geocaches. The Cache-Size and the Min-Favorite-Points filters.
The selection of all sizes automatically includes the Unknown-size.
The other new features are the fast map and themes switcher, introduces with the v2.9.3 of the Outdoor version.
Updates v2.9.4.x – Bugfixes
- Corrected coordinates of mystery caches in geocaching.com are visible again on the map and in the details of the cache.
- A Timeout-message appears if the request for caches on the map is not responded in a certain time (see Seetings / Online / TimeOut Message Limit). This re-enables the next request faster.
- Panoramio is no longer available. The former features for Panoramio are excluded now from the app.
- Some other minor bugfixes.
This update fixes some bugs and provides some minor improvements.
Changes for Geocaching:
- Bugfix: The Found-Icon were not updated immediately on the map in all conditions. This should work now for PQs, Favorites, Online-Caches and the target waypoint.
- Bugfix: The [COUNT]-Tag in the log text was not updated for immediately send logs. The number of founds is now retrieved from geocaching.com before log upload.
- The logs are now uploaded in the order of creation date, from the older to the newer entries. Previously this was not explicitly ensured.
- The short_description of the GPX-files (PQs) are now involved for the description of the cache, previously only the long_description was displayed.
- New: You can use [DATE_LOG] and [TIME_LOG] as placeholders for the date and time at the creation date of the log. The former [DATE] and [TIME] still exist but insert the current date and time at upload.
- Missing map tiles are tried to download again after the online access is available again. Previously a failed map tile download was cached until the next map provider was selected or the App restarted.
- The info field ‘Altitude’ now shows the altitudes above 1000m in meters not km.
- The Lumia 950 had a pixel offset on the OSM maps which prevented the correct selection of waypoints on the map. There is a new map option to add an offset to the touch position. The option page is: map / menu… / map options / View Extended / Special settings. The Lumia 950 is detected and the right value set, so normally you must not do anything for this.
Some users have updated their phones to Windows 10 Mobile. The maaloo Apps are built for Windows Phone 8.x but run on Windows 10 Mobile too with some minor limitations.
The official update of W10M is the 10.0.10586.164. The 10586 is important, the last number is not so important.
One known limitation with W10M is the access to the SD-card. The maps on the SD-card are not detected by the app.
Some users had problems to start the app, if the app is installed on the SD-card. You should install the app on the internal storage of the phone in this case.
You should not use the Insider updates of W10M, not fast and not slow ring (14295.x) . There are potentially more problems. One problem is that the login to geocaching.com is not possible.
August 2017: The app also runs on Windows Mobile 10 up to version 1607, Build 14393, which can not be guaranteed for newer versions.
This update offers some improvements and bugfixes for Geocaching and the Geocaching-InApp.
The Log Upload page has 3 buttons to enable or disable the upload for notes, logs and trackables logs. The upload process itself checks for errors from GC-API and marks the logs having an upload-error not as uploaded, for your next try (with better WLAN connection).
There are now logging types for owners of geocaches for the maintenance of there geocaches in the field. (Temporarily Disable Listing, Enable Listing, Owner Maintenance)
The quality of the GC-icons has improved. You will notice this especially on phones with higher resolution.
This update speeds up the map rendering of the OSM vector maps somewhat. You can customize the details of OSM vector maps according to the speed of your smartphone, with the new map option “Speed Optimization“. The slower your smartphone, the higher the speed optimization should be set. Default is ‘medium’.
The online access for the map can be locked now to prevent downloading of map tiles even when online access is available. This option only applies to online maps. Accessing the geocaches can still take place via the refresh button on the map.
This app has been migrated from WP8.0 to WP8.1 environment. This has not only advantages but also disadvantages. Under WP8.1 an app can not run in the background while continuing the location tracking.
If you use another app while the track record, for example a photo app, you must return to maaloo to further record the track. You can do this by pressing long on the back button until an overview of all running apps appears. Then simply tap on maaloo again.
You can switch off the display, to save energy. The track records also under the lock screen.
Some users have also update errors on WP8.1. The most solution is to reinstall the app.
Here is a official statement from Microsoft Support regarding the update problems especially for error code 80073cf9:
If some other users had similar problems and resolved them, please let us know your solution here by replying to this post.
A few new utilities and cleaned up a bit …
- locally logged caches as “Found it” are displayed immediately in this state on the map. The state will be saved only for favorite caches. In PQs it does not work yet.
- Textual smileys in log text will be replaced with the corresponding graphical icons.
- The friend function is working again and now has a refresh button to update the number of finds of all friends.
- The text phrase “[COUNT]” of your log text will be replaced with the number of your found caches and incremented further. However, only if it is a “Found it” log. If not, an empty text is replaced.
- The GC profile icon on GC.com was reduced to a 48 × 48 image, or will be downscaled to this size if you add a larger picture. But such a small image can not be used as LiveTile. Some (new) users were not able to use the feature “Use your GC-profile icon as LiveTile”. Luck had only the GC-profiles who still had a big old icon. Since this is not a reliable state, the function has been removed.