Good news. The app comes in a phase in which it works altogether – gets round. The functionality is not yet where it should be in the future. But it is possible to search geocaches, save as favorites and log the find.
The interface is modern and hopefully fluid and easy to use.
What’s included right from the start are high resolution offline vector maps from all over the world. That was important and took a little more time than planned – it was worth it.
Here are a few impressions of the state. The beta phase with users starts in October/November. Maybe you can join the TestFlight – there will be news soon …
We have caches on the map and a line to the target. Looks like it works… 😃
But there are still some features missing for a public release.
After a somewhat longer breather, owing to the decline of Windows Phone / Mobile, the journey continues towards the iPhone. maaloo geocaching is being redesigned, with fresh technology under the planks. The main focus lays on the target platform Apple iPhone. Potentially, it could also run on Android and Windows Universal App – but maybe later. Lets focus on iPhone.
When will it happen? Look forward to late spring 2019 over again …
The Live-API to OneDrive which is used by maaloo Geocaching/Outdoor was switched off by Microsoft.
You can still import GPX-files by direct file import. E.g. you can send an Email to yourself with an GPX file attachment. Open the attached GPX-file in your mail client on your phone. Touch on the file and all associated apps are listed which can open GPX files. Choose maaloo Geocaching/Outdoor an the file will be imported.
There are no export features available anymore. Sorry for any inconveniences caused. Ways of implementing an alternative feature to export a GPX file are checked.
Update: v184.108.40.206 – added the ability to export tracks and waypoints by export as plain text in the body of an Email. This re-enables the further post-processing and import in GPX-Editors on PC.
geocaching.com is changing its API to access its data to another technology. That would be a major change to the app. Due to the decreased importance of Windows Phone / Mobile and the resulting reduced user base, the effort for this migration is too high and is therefore not carried out.
The development of the iPhone version of maaloo Geocaching is in heavy development, but will be available later after this date.
The maaloo Geocaching for Windows Phone/Mobile will not be able to communicate with geocaching.com after 1 June 2019.
You can only use the offline functionality of the app. You can import pocket queries (GPX-files) and use them without online connection.
The same happens for the geocaching functionality of maaloo Outdoor.
I hope you enjoyed the app so far and will have it until 1 June 2019 or maybe even beyond as iPhone version later on.
maaloo Geocaching is now free. You do not have to pay anything to use the full version. I hope you like that.
Update 220.127.116.11 – Changelog
- The default map is now the OpenStreetMap “Normal” map, because of problems with the HERE map on newer devices.
- The ‘View Online’ feature is not available for Basic members of geocaching.com.
- The lost of the GPS-signal is now alerted by voice and vibration.
Update 18.104.22.168 – Changelog
- There is an option for the new feature ‘The lost of the GPS-signal is now alerted by voice and vibration.’ – Settings / Proximity / Checkbox ‘Alert GPS-Signal lost’
Update 22.214.171.124 – Changelog
- The Favorites / Waypoints page has a redesigned application bar. There is a new button to activate the multi selection mode and one more button to select all or de-select all items. You can elect the selected waypoints as your favorites, which copies them to the favorites folder.
- If you choose “update all” from the Favorites menu, the geocaches are getting updated as usual, but now the pictures of the caches are downloaded too. (Hint: If you delete the favorites afterwards, the pictures stay in the storage of maaloo until you delete them by “Database / delete (red icon)” explicitly. Hint 2: If you have the same waypoints in a Pocket Query, the pictures of the same caches (equal GC-Code) are available too, also if you delete the favorites.)
- The pixel offset in the OSM-map of the Lumia 950 device (RM-1105) is detected automatically now.
Update 126.96.36.199 – Changelog
- Fixed an error in the coordinate transformation
The older version of maaloo Outdoor with the green Icon is not available in the Store anymore. The green version has been replaced by the blue version. The blue version is called “maaloo Outdoor 8” and is implemented for Windows Phone 8.0. This has the advantage to record tracks in the background, if you use another app in the foreground. The green version has not this ability and was not updatable to this Windows Phone 8.0 target platform, due to limitations by Microsoft.
If you still want to install the green version, you must use this link from your phone.
If you had bought the green version in the past and do not want to purchase the blue version again, you can upgrade to the blue version by this simple steps.
- Install the green version
- Install the trial-version of maaloo Outdoor 8 (blue icon)
- In the green version go to the Main Screen / Info / Apps / Unlock
- The blue version now works like a full version.