You can add the Geocaching App features into the Outdoor 8 App and leverage the Outdoor 8 App to a Multi-Outdoor-tool. Geocaching and Outdoor in one App… awesome!
You must have been purchased the Geocaching and the Outdoor 8 app. Open the Geocaching App and press the Unlock button in Info / Apps. This will enable the Geocaching-features in the installed Outdoor 8 app. The amount of available Geocaching features depends on the version of the Outdoor 8 app vs. the Geocaching version. But normally both apps are close together.
The former Geocaching/Outdoor-InApps will be not available anymore.
You can find currently two versions of the Outdoor app. The Outdoor 8 app with the blue icon has one big advantage, it can record your track in the background. The green Outdoor App does not have this ability.
This has a technical reason, because of restrictions by WP8.1 vs. WP8.0. If the app is based on WP8.0 internally, it allows the background location tracking. There was no way to re-enable this for the green WP8.1 app, so the blue app was born.
You can unlock the trial version of the blue Outdoor 8 app for free if you have bought the green app already. In the green App go to Info / Apps and press the unlock button. You must install the blue trial version before. If you had bought the Geocaching-InApp, the Geocaching features will be unlocked in the blue App too.
If you plan to buy the Outdoor App, take the blue one.
Update for maaloo Outdoor 8 (blue icon).
Some new features regarding the track visibility and track edit functions.
- You can choose the color of the track and decide if the track points are visible on the map
- You can edit the track. Reduce the amount of track points of the track for faster handling on the map. Reverse the direction of the track. Duplicate the track if you want to save the original track in advance to some changes.
- Update of the dutch translation – thanks to marmarroo
With the OSM vector maps you are equipped with the very detailed maps, without the need of online access. The file sizes of the OSM vector maps are pleasantly small.
How to install .map files
Known limitations of the OSM-vector maps in the latest version:
- At lower zoom levels (14,13,12,..) the speed is slow, especially on slow phones. The strength of the OSM vector maps is rather larger in higher zoom levels (15,16,17,..).
- Themes: currently there is only an internal Theme (MTB-style).
- No street names are displayed
- Contour lines are displayed without altitude
- The names of POIs and cities can overlap each other.
- Labels are sometimes cropped at the edges of the map tiles.
- Multipolygons with inner recesses are represented not “punched” as such.
- No SD-Card support
Other new features:
- The card selection was somewhat remodeled. The HERE maps can now be found in the offline part.
- Your online maps downloads can now be found in the details of the map provider (button ‘Info’) and can be downloaded there again (updated) or deleted.
- In the Details of the map providers you can now delete the local map tiles (Clear cache).
- The buttons on the map are farther apart and therefore a little easier to touch.
- New clearer Icon for the App. I hope you like it. As always, a matter of taste.
The german, czech and dutch users will be happy with the translated app in their native language.
A main new feature is the ability to import ready made map-files in the GEMF-format. You can download some ready made GEMF-files from the map catalog or build your own map files with the PC-tool ‘Mobac’ (Mobile Atlas Creator, Format OSMdroid-GEMF).
All new features:
- Translation for german, czech and dutch
- Use ready made maps in GEMF-format
- Use more than one user defined map
- Black and white theme
- File-association for .gpx and .gemf with this app
- Sort Waypoints and Favorites by some criterias
- Tracks longer than 2000 points are reduced to 2000 points for faster responsiveness of the app
Only 3 weeks after the launch of the new outdoor app maaloo Outdoor a first update is available. This version implements the most wanted suggestion of the reviews, the SkyDrive support. Your wish is my command. Here it is.
New features of update v1.1
- SkyDrive Import/Export
- support for the GPX-Route format
- Track Playback, scroll through your track in the track details
A new star on the Windows Phone app market is born. maaloo Outdoor the successor of the already well known an favored app for Geocaching maaloo Geocaching. This app focus on the usual outdoor features like recording and displaying tracks and the management and locating of waypoints.
This app has good features for offline usage like the ability to download outdoor maps for hiking or biking in areas without online access.
This is the first version of maaloo Outdoor. Many features will follow. Here is a short list of the planned features for the next versions.
- Import/Export from SkyDrive
- Import/Export KML-files
- More statistics for tracks (height and speed profile)
- Show nearby images along a track
- Turn instructions for tracks
- Hill-shading for the map
- More content providers for map layers (weather, ..)
This following features are implemented in version 1.0 yet.
- Download maps for offline use
- OpenStreetMap, Cycle and Hike maps with many details for outdoor needs
- Map Rotation by Compass or GPS-Direction
- Show transparent Compass-overlay on map
- User defined map provider, use your local map tile server
- Record your own tracks
- Statistics of tracks
- Import and export GPX-tracks from Dropbox
- Search and import of tracks on GPSies.com
- automatic nearby search of tracks
- supports hiking, jogging and bike trails
- Add your own waypoints (press Favorites button and add, or long press on map)
- Navigate to waypoints
- Proximity alarm
- Import and export waypoints by Dropbox or URL
- supports traditional, Multi and other types of caches
- Import Pocket Queries from Dropbox or URL
- Add and edit your own stages to caches