The first update of 2016 for maaloo Outdoor 8 (blue icon).
Some minor changes and one more translation:
- Bugfix: Get directions for route was not visible on map immediately
- New Upload-button on the Track Details page
- Retrieve more online waypoints (Panoramio, Geocaching, GPSies) by multiple requests. The waypoints of the previous request does not disappear now.
- Danish Translation – thanks Thomas
This update offers some improvements and bugfixes for Geocaching and the Geocaching-InApp.
The Log Upload page has 3 buttons to enable or disable the upload for notes, logs and trackables logs. The upload process itself checks for errors from GC-API and marks the logs having an upload-error not as uploaded, for your next try (with better WLAN connection).
There are now logging types for owners of geocaches for the maintenance of there geocaches in the field. (Temporarily Disable Listing, Enable Listing, Owner Maintenance)
The quality of the GC-icons has improved. You will notice this especially on phones with higher resolution.
New update for maaloo Outdoor 8 with some improvements for track recording.
- The track will be automatically reduced while recording with the new option Settings / Record / ‘Auto reduce track’ in an interval of 10 minutes (default off). Unnecessary points will be removed by the Douglas-Peucker algorithm to create space for necessary points on long trails. If you enable this feature you should normally not notice any negative influence. The deleted points are in most cases unnecessary.
- There are three new choices for the info panels on the map to reflect the progress while recording.
- The altitude values are now calculated with a moving average of 10, to minimize the spikes somewhat.
There is a new but good old known App in the Store “maaloo Outdoor 8”. The successor of “maaloo Outdoor” targeting the WP8.0 operation system again. The reason is the important feature for background location tracking. This feature is only available for WP8.0 apps but not for WP8.1 apps. The user voice was loud enough to rollback the app to WP8.0 to enable the background location tracking again.
Why a new app? Because there is another tricky issue in the uploading process for apps that prevents the deletion of WP8.1 packages of an app. So if there exists a WP8.1 package, the newer WP8.0 package is not visible for updates.
Further updates will be published for the new app only. So please switch to the new app.
If you have bought the previous “maaloo Outdoor” you can unlock the new app for free. Go to Info / Apps and press the ‘Unlock’ button. You must have installed the “maaloo Outdoor 8” app in advance of course.
- Install the test version of ‘maaloo Outdoor 8’
- Update ‘maaloo Outdoor’ (without ‘8’)
- Press the unlock button in Info / Apps
This update is primarily aimed at the map and its zoom function. It is now finally possible to zoom the map continuously by using the finger-spread gesture. The set magnification remains, even if you take the finger off the screen again. In the previous versions the zoom level jumped back to the next fixed zoom level.
Furthermore, you can increase the zoom level, even if the card provider does not offer this zoom level. The map tiles are getting enlarged accordingly.
With the classic map tiles of 256 × 256 pixels, the zooming is fast coarsely pixelated. Therefore, the app now supports higher resolution map tiles of 512 × 512 or 768 × 768 pixels resolution. This makes especially sense for the new smartphones with higher resolution displays. The map will look much sharper.
You will surely find no online map provider having 512×512 pixel map tiles. You must generate this high resolution maps by yourself with e.g. Maperitive.
The OSM vector maps can also be generated with 512 × 512 pixel tiles with an option on page “map options / Map”.
This update extends the detailed view of the tracks. Added are a few statistical values in order to analyze your activities even better. The recording buttons for start, stop and pause were shifted from the track managment to the detailed view of tracks. Live stats of your current recorded track is now also visible in the detailed view.
- Time in motion
- End date
- Pause time
This updates (v2.7.0 and 2.7.1) extend the features of your profile. Now you can manage your geocaching friends and view their statistics, know when they were active. Your own geocaches are listed in your profile.
The pictures of geocaches are downloaded locally to your phone for offline use. In the prior versions the pictures were only saved with favorited geocaches for offline use. You can delete the offline pictures (v2.7.1)
- Manage your geocaching friends
- List of your own geocaches
- Pictures of the geocache listing are saved locally for offline use
- You can delete the offline pictures
- Logs are listed with the icon of the finder
- View details of the finder