Good news. The app comes in a phase in which it works altogether – gets round. The functionality is not yet where it should be in the future. But it is possible to search geocaches, save as favorites and log the find.
The interface is modern and hopefully fluid and easy to use.
What’s included right from the start are high resolution offline vector maps from all over the world. That was important and took a little more time than planned – it was worth it.
Here are a few impressions of the state. The beta phase with users starts in October/November. Maybe you can join the TestFlight – there will be news soon …
We have caches on the map and a line to the target. Looks like it works… 😃
But there are still some features missing for a public release.
After a somewhat longer breather, owing to the decline of Windows Phone / Mobile, the journey continues towards the iPhone. maaloo geocaching is being redesigned, with fresh technology under the planks. The main focus lays on the target platform Apple iPhone. Potentially, it could also run on Android and Windows Universal App – but maybe later. Lets focus on iPhone.
When will it happen? Look forward to late spring 2019 over again …
The Live-API to OneDrive which is used by maaloo Geocaching/Outdoor was switched off by Microsoft.
You can still import GPX-files by direct file import. E.g. you can send an Email to yourself with an GPX file attachment. Open the attached GPX-file in your mail client on your phone. Touch on the file and all associated apps are listed which can open GPX files. Choose maaloo Geocaching/Outdoor an the file will be imported.
There are no export features available anymore. Sorry for any inconveniences caused. Ways of implementing an alternative feature to export a GPX file are checked.
Update: v18.104.22.168 – added the ability to export tracks and waypoints by export as plain text in the body of an Email. This re-enables the further post-processing and import in GPX-Editors on PC.
maaloo Geocaching is now free. You do not have to pay anything to use the full version. I hope you like that.
Update 22.214.171.124 – Changelog
- The default map is now the OpenStreetMap “Normal” map, because of problems with the HERE map on newer devices.
- The ‘View Online’ feature is not available for Basic members of geocaching.com.
- The lost of the GPS-signal is now alerted by voice and vibration.
Update 126.96.36.199 – Changelog
- There is an option for the new feature ‘The lost of the GPS-signal is now alerted by voice and vibration.’ – Settings / Proximity / Checkbox ‘Alert GPS-Signal lost’
Update 188.8.131.52 – Changelog
- The Favorites / Waypoints page has a redesigned application bar. There is a new button to activate the multi selection mode and one more button to select all or de-select all items. You can elect the selected waypoints as your favorites, which copies them to the favorites folder.
- If you choose “update all” from the Favorites menu, the geocaches are getting updated as usual, but now the pictures of the caches are downloaded too. (Hint: If you delete the favorites afterwards, the pictures stay in the storage of maaloo until you delete them by “Database / delete (red icon)” explicitly. Hint 2: If you have the same waypoints in a Pocket Query, the pictures of the same caches (equal GC-Code) are available too, also if you delete the favorites.)
- The pixel offset in the OSM-map of the Lumia 950 device (RM-1105) is detected automatically now.
Update 184.108.40.206 – Changelog
- Fixed an error in the coordinate transformation
This update offers 2 new filters for Geocaches. The Cache-Size and the Min-Favorite-Points filters.
The selection of all sizes automatically includes the Unknown-size.
The other new features are the fast map and themes switcher, introduces with the v2.9.3 of the Outdoor version.
Updates v2.9.4.x – Bugfixes
- Corrected coordinates of mystery caches in geocaching.com are visible again on the map and in the details of the cache.
- A Timeout-message appears if the request for caches on the map is not responded in a certain time (see Seetings / Online / TimeOut Message Limit). This re-enables the next request faster.
- Panoramio is no longer available. The former features for Panoramio are excluded now from the app.
- Some other minor bugfixes.
Some users have updated their phones to Windows 10 Mobile. The maaloo Apps are built for Windows Phone 8.x but run on Windows 10 Mobile too with some minor limitations.
The official update of W10M is the 10.0.10586.164. The 10586 is important, the last number is not so important.
One known limitation with W10M is the access to the SD-card. The maps on the SD-card are not detected by the app.
Some users had problems to start the app, if the app is installed on the SD-card. You should install the app on the internal storage of the phone in this case.
You should not use the Insider updates of W10M, not fast and not slow ring (14295.x) . There are potentially more problems. One problem is that the login to geocaching.com is not possible.
August 2017: The app also runs on Windows Mobile 10 up to version 1607, Build 14393, which can not be guaranteed for newer versions.