maaloo Geocaching is now free. You do not have to pay anything to use the full version. I hope you like that.
Update 220.127.116.11 – Changelog
- The default map is now the OpenStreetMap “Normal” map, because of problems with the HERE map on newer devices.
- The ‘View Online’ feature is not available for Basic members of geocaching.com.
- The lost of the GPS-signal is now alerted by voice and vibration.
Update 18.104.22.168 – Changelog
- There is an option for the new feature ‘The lost of the GPS-signal is now alerted by voice and vibration.’ – Settings / Proximity / Checkbox ‘Alert GPS-Signal lost’
Update 22.214.171.124 – Changelog
- The Favorites / Waypoints page has a redesigned application bar. There is a new button to activate the multi selection mode and one more button to select all or de-select all items. You can elect the selected waypoints as your favorites, which copies them to the favorites folder.
- If you choose “update all” from the Favorites menu, the geocaches are getting updated as usual, but now the pictures of the caches are downloaded too. (Hint: If you delete the favorites afterwards, the pictures stay in the storage of maaloo until you delete them by “Database / delete (red icon)” explicitly. Hint 2: If you have the same waypoints in a Pocket Query, the pictures of the same caches (equal GC-Code) are available too, also if you delete the favorites.)
- The pixel offset in the OSM-map of the Lumia 950 device (RM-1105) is detected automatically now.
This update offers 2 new filters for Geocaches. The Cache-Size and the Min-Favorite-Points filters.
The selection of all sizes automatically includes the Unknown-size.
The other new features are the fast map and themes switcher, introduces with the v2.9.3 of the Outdoor version.
Updates v2.9.4.x – Bugfixes
- Corrected coordinates of mystery caches in geocaching.com are visible again on the map and in the details of the cache.
- A Timeout-message appears if the request for caches on the map is not responded in a certain time (see Seetings / Online / TimeOut Message Limit). This re-enables the next request faster.
- Panoramio is no longer available. The former features for Panoramio are excluded now from the app.
- Some other minor bugfixes.
Some users have updated their phones to Windows 10 Mobile. The maaloo Apps are built for Windows Phone 8.x but run on Windows 10 Mobile too with some minor limitations.
The official update of W10M is the 10.0.10586.164. The 10586 is important, the last number is not so important.
One known limitation with W10M is the access to the SD-card. The maps on the SD-card are not detected by the app.
Some users had problems to start the app, if the app is installed on the SD-card. You should install the app on the internal storage of the phone in this case.
You should not use the Insider updates of W10M, not fast and not slow ring (14295.x) . There are potentially more problems. One problem is that the login to geocaching.com is not possible.
August 2017: The app also runs on Windows Mobile 10 up to version 1607, Build 14393, which can not be guaranteed for newer versions.
A very useful new feature comes with V2.4 of maaloo Geocaching, the possibility to use ready made map packages from SD-card. If you do not have an SD-card you can import the map files by mail or Cloud. The map files must follow the .gemf-format, known from Android-phones. You can create this map files with the Mobile Atlas Creator (Mobac, format ‘Osmdroid GEMF’) by yourself or download them from other sources. There are some ready made map files in a neat map catalog on this site.
The most noticeable visual change is the new map menu. The different map sources are organized in an Online and Offline page with folders to categorize them.
You can define as many user defined map providers as you want now. The limit of only 1 user defined map is revoked.
All new features
- possibility to use ready made map files (.gemf) from SD-card or imported them to the local storage
- more than one user defined map
- the file extensions .gpx and .gemf are now associated with the app. You can open this file-type from mail or file browsers and switch directly to maaloo to import this files.
- the Go-function now works better with the ‘Navigation HERE’ option.
- A tap on the 2 or 4 Info-fields on the map opens the map options page to select the content for the fields.
A nice and needful feature comes with the new version 2.3, the Pop-up window in the map with a short description of the cache. The Pop-Up has two buttons, the info button and the ‘Go’-navigation button. Escpecially the ‘Go’-button allows the fast choice of this cache as your next target, without the need to open the info page first.
All new features:
- Map: Info Pop-up of the cache in the map
- Map: new options
– night mode
– dark buttons
– auto hide buttons
- Czech language for the app (Thanks to Lupyno!)
- Dutch language for offline helpers (Thanks to marmarroo!)
A big present for all german speaking users. maaloo Geocaching now speaks german, endlich!
But there is also a new feature for all other people, the black-theme. Especially for AMOLED-phones the black-theme is very useful to save energy.
New feature list
- black and white theme
- localized for german language
- cache-details page more clearly arranged
- bugfix: download caches sometimes results in not readable list
If you want to help to translate maaloo Geocaching to your local language e.g. Finnish or Czech, please contact me. (see Impressum)
Two updates at one day! maaloo Geocaching v2.1 and maaloo Outdoor v2.0 are released today.
The Outdoor version gets the HERE map like the Geocaching version got in v2.0. Both version now have a fine tuned map download quota solution for each map provider. Both version talk to you by text to speech if you are nearby or reached your desired waypoint/geocache.
The map providers have different restrictions for map downloads. This version respects this restrictions more stringent and re-allows some maps for download which were blocked in v2.0/1.2. You can read the restriction seetings in the Info page of each map provider.