This update changes the way to switch a map and choose waypoint online services. Previously you had to click more buttons to switch to another map or to toggle waypoint services on or off. Now there is only one click to open the “Fast Map Switcher”.
You can choose from the last 3 maps you had used before. At the beginning there are no 3 maps, so you have to press the more-button with the three dots to open the full map menu and choose a map there. If you want to switch to another than the 3 maps you have to press the more-button too.
If you use an offline vector map, you can select one of three themes (design templates). There are the MTB, Hike and Cycle theme. The Hike theme highlights hiking ways. The Cycle theme highlights ways for bicycles. If you use the maps from openandromaps.org you get better results with the themes. Especially the network-tagged ways (regional walking and cycling routes) are more highlighted with maps by openandromaps.org.
The themes are similar to those from andromaps_mtb, andromaps_hike and andromaps_cycle.xml by openandromaps.org with some minor changes.
Some users have updated their phones to Windows 10 Mobile. The maaloo Apps are built for Windows Phone 8.x but run on Windows 10 Mobile too with some minor limitations.
The official update of W10M is the 10.0.10586.164. The 10586 is important, the last number is not so important.
One known limitation with W10M is the access to the SD-card. The maps on the SD-card are not detected by the app.
Some users had problems to start the app, if the app is installed on the SD-card. You should install the app on the internal storage of the phone in this case.
You should not use the Insider updates of W10M, not fast and not slow ring (14295.x) . There are potentially more problems. One problem is that the login to geocaching.com is not possible.
The first update of 2016 for maaloo Outdoor 8 (blue icon).
Some minor changes and one more translation:
- Bugfix: Get directions for route was not visible on map immediately
- New Upload-button on the Track Details page
- Retrieve more online waypoints (Panoramio, Geocaching, GPSies) by multiple requests. The waypoints of the previous request does not disappear now.
- Danish Translation – thanks Thomas
New update for maaloo Outdoor 8 with some improvements for track recording.
- The track will be automatically reduced while recording with the new option Settings / Record / ‘Auto reduce track’ in an interval of 10 minutes (default off). Unnecessary points will be removed by the Douglas-Peucker algorithm to create space for necessary points on long trails. If you enable this feature you should normally not notice any negative influence. The deleted points are in most cases unnecessary.
- There are three new choices for the info panels on the map to reflect the progress while recording.
- The altitude values are now calculated with a moving average of 10, to minimize the spikes somewhat.
There is a new but good old known App in the Store “maaloo Outdoor 8”. The successor of “maaloo Outdoor” targeting the WP8.0 operation system again. The reason is the important feature for background location tracking. This feature is only available for WP8.0 apps but not for WP8.1 apps. The user voice was loud enough to rollback the app to WP8.0 to enable the background location tracking again.
Why a new app? Because there is another tricky issue in the uploading process for apps that prevents the deletion of WP8.1 packages of an app. So if there exists a WP8.1 package, the newer WP8.0 package is not visible for updates.
Further updates will be published for the new app only. So please switch to the new app.
If you have bought the previous “maaloo Outdoor” you can unlock the new app for free. Go to Info / Apps and press the ‘Unlock’ button. You must have installed the “maaloo Outdoor 8” app in advance of course.
- Install the test version of ‘maaloo Outdoor 8’
- Update ‘maaloo Outdoor’ (without ‘8’)
- Press the unlock button in Info / Apps
This update increases the usability of the map. There is a new feature to measure distances from your current GPS-position to a point on the map for a fast approximation of alternate ways. The info fields on top of the map are only visible if you did not touched the display for more than 5 seconds.
You can download your current map view for offline use directly from the menu.
New map for bikers added to the regional online map catalog, MTBmap of Europe (mtbmap.cz).
+ new map for bike MTBmap of Europe (mtbmap.cz)
+ easy measurement of distances on map
+ better automatic switch from buttons to info fields on map
+ download current map view from menu
+ greater font for info fields in map
Measure distances on the map. A first step to the coming feature of hand edited routes.
Download current map view directly from map.
The german, czech and dutch users will be happy with the translated app in their native language.
A main new feature is the ability to import ready made map-files in the GEMF-format. You can download some ready made GEMF-files from the map catalog or build your own map files with the PC-tool ‘Mobac’ (Mobile Atlas Creator, Format OSMdroid-GEMF).
All new features:
- Translation for german, czech and dutch
- Use ready made maps in GEMF-format
- Use more than one user defined map
- Black and white theme
- File-association for .gpx and .gemf with this app
- Sort Waypoints and Favorites by some criterias
- Tracks longer than 2000 points are reduced to 2000 points for faster responsiveness of the app