This update fixes some bugs and provides some minor improvements.
Changes for Geocaching:
- Bugfix: The Found-Icon were not updated immediately on the map in all conditions. This should work now for PQs, Favorites, Online-Caches and the target waypoint.
- Bugfix: The [COUNT]-Tag in the log text was not updated for immediately send logs. The number of founds is now retrieved from geocaching.com before log upload.
- The logs are now uploaded in the order of creation date, from the older to the newer entries. Previously this was not explicitly ensured.
- The short_description of the GPX-files (PQs) are now involved for the description of the cache, previously only the long_description was displayed.
- New: You can use [DATE_LOG] and [TIME_LOG] as placeholders for the date and time at the creation date of the log. The former [DATE] and [TIME] still exist but insert the current date and time at upload.
- Missing map tiles are tried to download again after the online access is available again. Previously a failed map tile download was cached until the next map provider was selected or the App restarted.
- The info field ‘Altitude’ now shows the altitudes above 1000m in meters not km.
- The Lumia 950 had a pixel offset on the OSM maps which prevented the correct selection of waypoints on the map. There is a new map option to add an offset to the touch position. The option page is: map / menu… / map options / View Extended / Special settings. The Lumia 950 is detected and the right value set, so normally you must not do anything for this.
A few new utilities and cleaned up a bit …
- locally logged caches as “Found it” are displayed immediately in this state on the map. The state will be saved only for favorite caches. In PQs it does not work yet.
- Textual smileys in log text will be replaced with the corresponding graphical icons.
- The friend function is working again and now has a refresh button to update the number of finds of all friends.
- The text phrase “[COUNT]” of your log text will be replaced with the number of your found caches and incremented further. However, only if it is a “Found it” log. If not, an empty text is replaced.
- The GC profile icon on GC.com was reduced to a 48 × 48 image, or will be downscaled to this size if you add a larger picture. But such a small image can not be used as LiveTile. Some (new) users were not able to use the feature “Use your GC-profile icon as LiveTile”. Luck had only the GC-profiles who still had a big old icon. Since this is not a reliable state, the function has been removed.
This updates (v2.7.0 and 2.7.1) extend the features of your profile. Now you can manage your geocaching friends and view their statistics, know when they were active. Your own geocaches are listed in your profile.
The pictures of geocaches are downloaded locally to your phone for offline use. In the prior versions the pictures were only saved with favorited geocaches for offline use. You can delete the offline pictures (v2.7.1)
- Manage your geocaching friends
- List of your own geocaches
- Pictures of the geocache listing are saved locally for offline use
- You can delete the offline pictures
- Logs are listed with the icon of the finder
- View details of the finder
A nice and needful feature comes with the new version 2.3, the Pop-up window in the map with a short description of the cache. The Pop-Up has two buttons, the info button and the ‘Go’-navigation button. Escpecially the ‘Go’-button allows the fast choice of this cache as your next target, without the need to open the info page first.
All new features:
- Map: Info Pop-up of the cache in the map
- Map: new options
– night mode
– dark buttons
– auto hide buttons
- Czech language for the app (Thanks to Lupyno!)
- Dutch language for offline helpers (Thanks to marmarroo!)
A big present for all german speaking users. maaloo Geocaching now speaks german, endlich!
But there is also a new feature for all other people, the black-theme. Especially for AMOLED-phones the black-theme is very useful to save energy.
New feature list
- black and white theme
- localized for german language
- cache-details page more clearly arranged
- bugfix: download caches sometimes results in not readable list
If you want to help to translate maaloo Geocaching to your local language e.g. Finnish or Czech, please contact me. (see Impressum)
It is very easy to download caches from the map and save them as GPX-file for later offline use. Here is an example workflow how to do this.
1) Move the map to your desired position.
In this case ‘Sassnitz’ in the north of east germany on the peninsula Rügen.
2) The center of the map should point to your target position. Press the refresh button to load the caches around this point.
You should have been authorized to geocaching.com before, otherwise view the appropriate HowTo Login to geocaching.com.
After some seconds the caches according to your filter-criteria are displayed on the map. The filter criteria can be accessed by the Filter-button of the menu.
3) Open the menu and select the menu item “save caches”
4) The download page appears
Type in a descriptive name for your download and press the back button once to leave the input box.
The checkbox “Download full descriptions” should be selected to download the description text and logs of each cache.
5) Press the Download-button to start the download progress.
Ensure a stable WLAN-connection and connect your phone to a power supply while long download sessions.
After 1-2 minutes the caches should have been downloaded.
Now you have one more GPX-file in your Waypoints-file-collection.
Thats all you have to do to download caches from the map as a new GPX-file for later offline use.
Now take a look into your Waypoints-collection.
6) Open the waypoints-page from the menu of the map-page
Press the “waypoints…” menu item.
7) On the Files-page you can see one more file called ‘sassnitz.gpx’
8) Select the GPX-file and press the Activate-button from the menu to activate this file for usage.
9) Swap to the Waypoints-page and you see the list of waypoints ordered by distance.
10) On the Layer-page you can see which Waypoint-file you have activated.
The Layer-page can be opened by a tap on the Layer-button of the the map menu.